I finnally managed to bring my computer back to life, it was a hard drive faillure and none of the data could be recovered, (well, hardly anything worthwhile anyway).
I am normally really careful when it comes to backing up my data so I did not really loose anything important, but I still lost a lot of time re-installing everything, looking for passwords I forgot I even had and so on.
Outlook alone took forever, I use popfile as a spam filter, but it takes a while to ‘teach’ it what is spam and what is not. I also have to check every emails to make sure that it did not report something as that is not spam, (and it did a couple of time), I get in the region of 3500 emails a day, (almost all spam), but I cannot really afford to miss one email.
Then there is firefox and all the passwords that it saved over the years and so on.
I also descided to update my computer so now I have a x64 machine with 4Gb of memory, truth be told, I have not really noticed anything ‘outstanding’ with it yet, maybe my old computer was not so bad after all.
Maybe one day I’ll write myself a little app to backup all those settings so in case of a crash not as much data is lost.
Last night I cam home to find that my good old windows Vista machine would no longer boot properly. It works for a few minutes and then crashes, (with the famous blue screen/memory dump).
So now I am wasting a lot of time trying to recover my system before I can do any ‘real’ work, as luck would have it I was planning on getting some of the more difficult bugs done.
I am actually quite happy that I copy all my code in 3 different locations, imagine if I had lost all my code, that would not have been fun.
But anyway, I guess it happens from time to time, I just have to re-install everything and I should be ready to go.
I finally got around to implement a new bug tracking system. The main reason for that is because I was starting to loose track between requests and bugs, my roadmap was also starting to look a bit like a bug tracking tool as well. I was also starting to loose track of what I had done when it came time to do releases.
Everybody is more than welcome to create an account and log new bugs, I chose Mantis as it seems to be a fairly ‘up-to-date’ online application.
I am new it, so I might make some mistakes as I go along, so please, bear with me.
I am very keen to do another stable release, but I first have to finish the database import application as it is still a bit ‘clunky’, I want the users to be able to click on one button only to load the database, (a bit like the aircrafts are been imported curently).
I finally found some time to complete the database import function in Courseplanner.
The database can be created with data from FSX and FS9. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed with the result, it seems that Microsoft flight simulator relies on graphics a lot more than I thought, the data on the .bgl files is not enough to display nice clean airports.
But I am working on ways of building proper curves in taxipath, (and I am also working on improving the general look of surfaces).
I am very busy at work and sadly I cannot work on Courseplanner as much as I would like. But once most of the bugs have been ironed out of the import function I will be able to continue working on various other bugs/features that have been reported on the forum.